Job Accountant III
Location Lake Wales
Days Monday – Friday
Hours 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Salary $13.00 per hour
Performs a variety of routine and complex clerical, accounting, and administrative work in accounts payable, accounts receivable and general administration.
Works under the general supervision of the Accounting Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Code receipts, reconciles daily cash, and keeps such records as needed to verify cash balances.
- Provide professional advice to supervisors and makes presentations to supervisors.
- Prepares daily bank deposits if assigned.
- Maintains auxiliary cash controls for balancing and other related accounting activities.
- Maintains accounts receivable records, and performs necessary follow-up on collections.
- Reconcile the general ledger to various reports.
- Prepares a variety of studies, reports and related information for decision-making purposes.
- Prepares periodic financial, statistical or operational reports as assigned.
- Makes journal entries to balance and close monthly books in general ledger, revenue and expense accounts; reconciles general ledger and subsidiary utility accounts.
- Maintains the fixed asset accounts of the City.
- Prepares financial reports on water and sewer revenue and expenses.
- Reconciles bank statements as assigned.
- Serves as a member of various employee committees.
- Provides back-up to other related positions.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four‑year college or university with a Bachelors degree in accounting, business management, finance or a closely related field, and
- Two or more years experience in accounting, accounts payables, accounts receivable, or similar experience and
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of double entry accounting theory, principles, an practices, auditing theory and practices; internal control procedures, and bookkeeping and accounting procedures and systems, including computer applications;
- Skilled in the operation of tools and equipment;
- Ability to maintain effective accounting procedures, ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Personal computer, including spreadsheet and word processing software; central financial computer system; telephone; 10-key calculator; typewriter; copy machine.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.